Thursday, August 28, 2014

Wed, Aug 20th - Wed, Aug 27th - Cole continues to feel better from his recovery from Pneumonia, however now he is beginning to experience belly pain and the official diagnosis is that he has developed Pancreatitis. Apparently Pancreatitis is a side effect of one of his Chemo drugs. He is given pain medicine in an attempt to relieve some of his pain, however this causes severe itchiness over his entire body and lasts for hours. This is a new side effect for him. They attempt to relieve this itchiness with other meds, but unsuccessfully. This goes on each day for about 3-4 days, trying different pain meds each time. However, it was not until about the 4th day of this and I believe 5th different pain med that they found one that did not cause itching. By the next day the pain had subsided and the Pancreatitis was nearly gone.

Over this time he had begun to have fevers and these did not go away until the 26th. So more testing began and on top of numerous blood tests, I believe we used just about every type of imaging they have. He had an abdominal sonogram, abdominal CT scan, abdominal MRI, CT scan of his chest, echo cardiogram and x-rays. All looked normal except for some spots on his lungs that they believe is either a fungal infection or a bacterial infection. Either way his PORT will now need to be removed and they will also perform a BAL (bronchoalveolar lavage) to determine the type of infection in the lungs.

On Tuesday they tested his bone marrow and CNS (central nervous system) fluids and reported the results to us late on Wednesday. It was not the news we wanted to hear. Leukemic cells were still present in the CNS, however the bone marrow was still clean. With the bone marrow still being clean, it will allow them to focus solely on the CNS for a short bit. So they will be starting him on a new Chemo drug on Friday and continue it over a course of 3 weeks.

This was obviously not the news that we wanted, however we are still hopeful. If this latest round of chemo is successful, then they would follow it with another 3-4 week round of chemo and then prepare him for a bone marrow transplant.

Cole is handling all very well. He is an amazingly strong kid! When he is feeling well, you would never know that he has gone through so much. He is constantly his fun loving, joking self. Always making the doctors and nurses laugh and warming our hearts with his infectious smile.

His battle was so appropriately named Cole Strong and he is living up to it! His strength is what will get him and us through this illness. Thanks again for all of you support, thoughts and prayers!

Cole Strong in his hospital room

Denise and Cole

Cole and Chris




1 comment:

  1. Hey Cole My Name is Andrew I met Your Uncle Steve Today at my son Football Game today Aug 30 2014 as I was Filming thee Event He Approach Me Very Polite and Well Mannered to ask if I can make a copy of what I documented, an exchange what digital picture he had taken after we text each others numbers I seen his Name the town he stated he was from and I seen the website www.colemalone.org I thought to myself, This Guy must have his own business for something and I immediately Closed my phone after that glimpse he greeted me about my tripod setup and we said our farewells until we meet again, I proceeded with my Day Went to see my cousin too see if he wanted to participate in a challenge called The Ice Bucket Challenge To raise awareness For ALS I'm still learning more about it, myself after doing that Challenge Boy was that Ice water Freezen Cold, and after doing that Challenge I had to edit the video put hash tags, and music, finding the right fonts, after doing all this about 1:30 am August 31 2014 I went to save Steve number in my phone and I actually read his text this time now it reads his name the town he is from and #ColeStrong28/www.colemalone.org I read the Blog that I'am currently commenting on and I will read the rest I have missed and also share with my friends and family Your story after looking threw all your picture seeing you either sleeping Enjoying time with your Family smiling and just making everyone around you Happy,being the Strong Man that you are, I just want to say God Loves You Jesus Knows who You are By Your Name Cole and keep that Joy heart you Have keep smiling keep Making your Family Smile keep Your Smile as Bright as the Sun Light enjoy every moment and I thank you for being strong Cole we all Need some of your Strenght, I will keep you in my Prayers God Bless You Always & Forever.#ColeStrong28

    ReplyDelete